WE ARE LOOKING
FOR THE ONE
Are you a library professional excited to take on new challenges? Does the idea of overseeing a library in a community that values the public library and its services appeal to you? Then YOU are the candidate for us!
You are invited to apply for the position of Great Bend Public Library Director in Great Bend, KS. Serving at the pleasure of the appointed Library Board, the full-time Library Director oversees the operations of one library and supervises a creative staff composed of nine full-time employees and two part-time staff.
The Great Bend Public Library has created successful collaborations with a variety of community partners. The new director will be responsible for continuing those collaboration efforts and continuing to enhance the library’s services to the community. While the Library Director provides the leadership and direction for the library, this is also a hands-on position, with regular interactions with patrons and the community. The board is looking for a self-motivated, multi-tasking individual who is willing to meet challenges and develop creative solutions to meet the needs of our community.
Learn what makes this job so appealing
- Our staff has very low turn-over, unusual in our profession.
- They continually strive to develop quality service and programs.
- They are encouraged and enthusiastically attend continuing education to improve their skills.
PATRONS ARE #1
- The State Library of Kansas and CKLS resource sharing (ILL) systems are used to their fullest to expand offerings to patrons.
- We offer world class digital resources for downloading audio/video/ebooks.
- We offer phenomenal programs/events for all ages of users – evaluation is a large part of the programming process.
- Staff is excited about the programming offered and provides it on a limited or low budget.
- Summer library programming is highly supported by community donations
- 2022 Annual Circulation (61,842)
- 2022 Annual Program Attendance (3,016)
- The library has a positive relationship with the City of Great Bend.
- We work closely with the school district.
- We have a working relationship with Sunflower Diversified where we offer work study to their differently abled clients.
- We present/develop programs with the Wetlands, Barton County Historical Museum Kansas Wetlands Education Center & Barton Community College.
- A vibrant community of around 15,000 people located in the heart of America; near the geographical center of Kansas.
- The central location of the city allows for short travel to anywhere in the state, including Wichita and Kansas City. Denver is also just a mere six-hour drive away.
- The people of Great Bend enjoy the conveniences of a larger city, like first-rate educational, medical, and recreation facilities.
- For all of the large city conveniences, the community still retains its small-town sensibilities and values.
Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in Library Sciences, or a closely related field; AND/OR five (5) years of managerial experience in a public library environment preferred; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Salary range based on education and experience: $45,000-$65,000
IF you are interested and qualified, be sure to submit a cover letter, resume & application online at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on March 27, 2023.